8/28/23

Gamera spotted on Mtn Dew bottles?


I was cruising around in the soda aisle of a supermarket the other day (standard afternoon fodder for me) when I spotted a kaiju in the wild.  Apparently, this label design is two years old (!?), but I'm just now seeing it.  I swear to God, bottles of Mtn Dew Code Red are emblazoned with an image of a giant turtle monster causing a ruckus and clutching a cherry.  Now, how many giant turtle monsters do you know?  Does Daiei Film know about this?  I guess the biggest question I have is WHAT THE F*CK?

Why on Earth would a soft drink brand cross-pollinate with such a random intellectual property, much less one that hasn't been culturally relevant here in the states for eons?  And why a bootleg Gamera?  Why not work with Daiei to use official Gamera iconography?  Oh, and why Gamera???  Is there a new film on the horizon that I don't know about?  So.  Many.  Questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment