4/9/20

A Band: Soliloquium


Soliloquium is a melodic death/doom metal band.  I remember digging their sophomore long player, 2018's moody Contemplations.  At first, they did come off as yet another tiny "bandcamp" project, but they sound more professional than, say, Finger the Cowboy or Skullcap Vertex.  I made those bands up, but still!  Is it too early to start a new paragraph?  Nah.

Things We Leave Behind is the latest Soliloquium jammer.  As a matter of public record, it was released in mid-March.  I'm undecided on which album I prefer.  Lead single "The Discarded" is a motherfucker of a tune, and the brutal drums on "Existential Misshape" twisted my xiphoid process into a xiphoid situation.  Trust me; that quip was both unnecessary and hysterical.  Two, maybe three people are buckled over with laughter right now.  Okay, no one is laughing.  May we continue?

A couple of the tracks on Things lose me.  Oddly enough, they feel too...simple?  It's hard to pinpoint.  Still, Soliloquium is an obscure band worth checking out, and hey, that's the purpose of this column.  As promised, here is some Kool-Aid!


No comments:

Post a Comment