3/30/24

Blood Capsule #189

THE LAST DINOSAUR (1977)

I just got back from seeing Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.  And last night, I watched a goofy tokusatsu spectacle that no one cares about.  Which film should I review?  Better question - which film do you think I'm going to review?  Realistically, what could I say about the latest chapter in Legendary's monsterverse that you couldn't predict with infallible accuracy?  It's basically a WWE pay-per-view.  You know I dug it.  What you may not know is that Rankin-Bass took a break from seasonal stop-motion animation in the mid-70's to copilot a kaiju picture starring Richard Boone as a creepy, eccentric big game hunter who winds up foraging for provisions on a remote strip of land in the Pacific.  Or the Atlantic.  Either way, he tracks down a T-Rex.  Man-in-a-suit shenanigans ensue.

Aren't you glad I decided to tackle The Last Dinosaur?  Is it too late to switch reviews mid-stream?  Nevermind.  I'll trudge forward.  If this audit is anything like the film on offer, it should be a jaunty footslog.  There is plenty of beastie-wrangling action to behold.  The special effects are perfectly acceptable, considering the bantam budget.  This was originally headed for a theatrical release, but it was thrown to ABC at the last minute.  More on the dinosaur suit...it was later repurposed for Dinosaur War Aizenborg, a TV series that combined anime with miniature set destruction.  I can wholeheartedly recommend The Last Dinosaur if you enjoyed 1960's Dinosaurus! or 1974's The Land That Time Forgot.  I can also recommend Godzilla x Kong, but that goes without saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment