4/10/24

Blood Capsule #191

ISLAND OF TERROR (1966)

I have a nagging headache, but I simply must tell you about this daffy sci-fi/horror cakewalk.  Island of Terror pits Peter Cushing against a roving band of silicates.  What are silicates?  They are amoeboid (that's a word, I swear) lifeforms that feed on calcium.  In essence, they drink your bones and leave you a ropy mess of flesh.  It's a fairly brutal death, and I have to heap praises on the special effects department for devising charmingly grotesque models of the jelly-like victims.  Needless to say, the film has a grim tone.  I would comment on the cast, but aside from Cushing, no one really stands out.  I'm not complaining, mind you.  Island of Terror is a bit of an ensemble picture, and as such, a few of the faces are interchangeable.  Likewise, a few of the accents are unintelligible.

For those interested, our amorphous antagonists were created in a laboratory to eat cancer cells.  At times, I was reminded of The Green Slime.  Regrettably, the silicates do not come equipped with their own theme song.  This flick was directed by the ever-dependable Terence Fisher.  Sandwiched in between Frankenstein Created Woman and Dracula: Prince of Darkness, it has the feel of a lost Hammer production.  The pace is rather prompt, save for a dead spot here and there. For example, I don't think we needed lingering shots of the scientists slipping into full-body condoms...I mean, radiation suits.  But hey, it is what it is.  Recommended to fans of bread pudding.


No comments:

Post a Comment