6/28/14

Blood Capsule #46

BEYOND THE GRAVE (2010)

I usually avoid post-apocalyptic zombie films with generic titles, but something told me to give this one a shot.  Sibylline clairvoyance?  Innate intuition?  Cash?  No, no, no...I had read laudatory words about this Brazilian genre dish, so I wanted to see it for myself.  Beyond the Grave is certainly unique.  A tale of demonic possession and undead rot mixes organic horror with mystic singularity.  The scenes of isolated bestiality (not that kind of bestiality, you macabre bezonian) are shot with tact, a kind of professionalism I wasn't expecting from a no-budget shocker.  The acting is premium, and the characters are developed to the point where you don't want their flesh to be ingested.

Unfortunately, the pace flatlines at disadvantageous times.  I can't sugarcoat it; Beyond the Grave is pretty damn boring when it shouldn't be.  Also, I wasn't clear on several plot details, but that may have been purposeful on writer/director Davi de Oliveira Pinheiro's part.  It's hard to judge.  I'm sure that you're capable of constituting your own opinion.  Overall, I liked this moody sucker.  Blemishes are omnipresent, but they aren't deal breakers.  You fucking bezonian.


No comments:

Post a Comment