12/31/21

A Band: Pharaoh


Originally, this column was conceived as a way to direct a floodlight or two in the direction of a band (y'know, "a band") that rawked my world and yet, slipped beneath the metal mainstream sonar.  For no particular reason, I always saw it servicing bands of the moment.  That is, music that was happening right now underfoot.  Proggy power metallers Pharaoh have always been a band (y'know, "a band") that I've championed and tried to lug out of the ligature grip of obscurity.  Nonetheless, they are a band of battle-scarred veterans.

So?  Why should that keep me from directing a floodlight at their latest endeavor?  They're still too goddamn obscure.  If you don't know (ugh, I can't take you anywhere), they are led by tornado-throated singer Tim Aymar, he of Control Denied fame.  The first time that I listened to 1999's The Fragile Art of Existence, I couldn't believe that an unknown was damn near upstaging Chuck Schuldiner.  Ever since, I've been a loyal fan of the Pennsylvanian collective.  Aymar joined in time for 2003's After the Fire.  A solid debut, but the follow-up?  2006's The Longest Night?  Well, I'll just say that I consider it to be one of the finest albums of the decade, a decade that was pretty kind to our genre, all in all.

Needless to dribble, that has nothing to do with 2021.  I wouldn't be writing this if Pharaoh had not dropped a banger in the preceding twelve months.  I'm talking about The Powers That Be.  It bristles with an unruly, indignant energy, a choleric verve I wasn't expecting after nine years of radio silence.  But you're willing to wait after a record as gratifying as 2012's Bury the Light.  Pharaoh is cool.  That's what I'm saying.

As for where you should start (and let's assume that you want to start because you have a brain, stem included), that depends on your tastes.  Do you wave the flag for traditional heavy metal?  Try 2008's Be Gone on for size.  Maybe you're more like me and you're into technical stuff.  I started with The Longest Night.  What's good for the goose is good for the gibbon...no, the gazelle...no, the Galapagos tortoise!  I'll figure that one out later.  While I'm doing that, why don't you take a gander at Pharaoh's catalog?

No comments:

Post a Comment