3/14/22

Scott Hall R.I.P.


It's "funny."  I've prepared myself dozens of times to read the news that Scott Hall has passed away.  Haven't we all?  His name has forever been crosshatched in a rotary file in our minds, a file reserved for wrestling greats whose career-defining feuds have been with themselves.  But I wasn't really prepared.  It doesn't feel right that Hall was taken out by a goddamn hip surgery.  That's just too human, especially for a star as bright as The Bad Guy.

I have plenty of memories of watching Razor Ramon perform The Razor's Edge (still one of the best finishers ever) on some nameless jobber.  It is only with time and maturity that I can say I truly appreciate his WWF run.  His WCW run may not have cultivated as many classic matches, but it was more significant than anyone could have realized.  Both Outsiders played their parts effortlessly.  His TNA run...um, moving on!

This is a tremendously sad day, but can you imagine how sad it would be if Diamond Dallas Page hadn't stepped in to extricate his buddy from the mandibles of addiction?  At the very least, Scott Hall was able to be clean and sober for nearly a decade.  He was rightfully inducted into the Hall of Fame.  His story was given an ending (with his stamp of approval, no less).  That's the stuff I'll choose to remember.  It's like the man himself said, "Bad times don't last.  Bad guys do."

Take care, Scott.  Be sure to flick a toothpick at the man upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment