12/6/10

REVAMP - REVAMP


For over a decade, Floor Jansen fronted After Forever. They were one of the first bands to popularize female-fronted Gothic metal. I never got into them. Aside from Lacuna Coil, I wasn't a fan of the genre as a whole. When After Forever split, Floor started a new band. That band is Revamp, and this is a review of their self-titled debut album. I knew that I would be floored by the vocals (that's the last time I'll use that pun, I promise), but I didn't think that I would take to the music. Well, I was wrong. This CD rocks!

How does it compare to After Forever's discography? For one thing, it's heavier. There is more double bass, and there are only two ballads to speak of. You could argue that most of the songs are commercialized, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If Revamp was played on modern rock radio, I would listen to the radio more often. The main thing that I admire about this record is Floor's sense of melody. Her vocal lines are ineluctably catchy. Listen to the chorus of "All Goodbyes" and the subtle way that she twists the refrain of "I Lost Myself." If you don't hit repeat, I'll shave my balls. Actually, I won't.

This chick can do anything with her voice. She's an accomplished opera singer, she can handle pop or rock, and while she was on the road promoting this disc, she even learned how to growl. I told you she could do anything! My favorite tracks are the possessed "Head Up High," the dramatic "Million," the metal-as-fuck "Disdain," the decorous "Disgrace," the affecting "Sweet Curse" and the aforementioned "All Goodbyes." An honorable mention goes out to the drummer. He pounds a cannonade of intricate rhythms out of his kit. A professional writer would look his name up, but I never claimed to be a professional.

I'm probably making this album sound like it's perfect, but it's not. Tracks 9-12 are almost interchangeable. I keep listening to them in the hopes that they'll grab me, but they never do. Also, a couple of songs have an Evanescence feel to them. The formulaic arrangements don't help. Revamp destroys Evanescence, though. Unlike Amy Lee, Floor Jansen doesn't need a studio and a team of producers to smooth out her inadequacies with Pro Tools. She can reproduce her incredible repertoire in a live setting.

Revamp's debut is very good, but there is still room for improvement. I can only imagine how much ass they are capable of kicking. If you're into bands like Epica and Octavia Sperati, you're bound to enjoy this record. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment