5/28/12

The Chronicle Chronicles


This isn't a review of any sort. I just wanted to write a little blurb about the movie that I rented last night (from a video store). The "found footage" subgenre doesn't appeal to me. In fact, Cloverfield is the only recent flick to employ this gimmick that I can honestly say I enjoyed. Luckily, Chronicle doesn't rely on neoteric subterfuge to do all of the heavy lifting. There is an actual story here with three-dimensional characters and a mounting sense of nervous unease. And the action sequences...wow! They pack a fucking wallop. Seriously, a wallop has been packed.

Chronicle isn't flawless. It didn't need to be a "found footage" movie, and some of the dialogue is stilted. But watch it anyway. Highly, highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment