10/5/20

Blood Capsule #100

YUMMY (2019)

These days, I don't take requests.  When my depression intensifies, it steals the joy from my hobbies, so if I'm sitting down to enjoy a movie, it's going to be one that I picked.  Obviously, Yummy was an exception.  This zombie romp was culled by a winning contest participant.  I had reservations, but it turned out to be a diverting, boisterous enucleation of the epidermis.  Sorry, the film's plot is fettered to my brain.  All of the action takes place in a hospital where our heroine is looking to undergo plastic surgery (a breast reduction, to be specific).  Her lovesick boyfriend is wary of the joint, and after making inquiries, shuffles into a scary scene.

I know that I referred to Yummy as a "zombie romp," but we're dealing with a virus here.  These cinematic ghouls are zombies to the extent that the infected rovers in 28 Days Later are zombies.  Of course, it doesn't matter.  If I'm appending this flick to any pile of recent zombie scourges, it does top out as one of the most entertaining.  Oddly enough, Yummy isn't yummy on account of its gore (though the viscera does swell and percolate like so much globoid liverwurst); it's all in the storytelling.  The characters are written in shades, the pacing is patient, and the comedic elements are worked in naturally.  Erm, for the most part.

There is one moment that is completely unnecessary and...yeah, it's just too much.  I don't do well with depictions of cock violence.  Even sitting at my laptop now, I'm audibly groaning at the thought of...nope!  Lord Jesus!  Help me, Satan!  Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment