8/26/17

Blood Capsule #76

THE HUNGER (1983)

I held off on viewing this London-lensed vampire romp for years.  It didn't seem like my goblet of blood.  In my head, I had it pegged as frigid, formal "designer horror," and I don't think that's even a real thing.  Where on Neptune do I get my ideas?  The Hunger is great! Damn it, I should have watched it sooner.  The late Tony Scott directs with erudite style, an acute savoir-faire that also permeates the script.  This is a thinking man's picture.  Every aspect from the editing to the lighting is willfully premeditated.  Even the performances are deliberate, and the cast is docked by one hell of a ternion of thespians.  "Ternion of Thespians."  That's a book title right there. You're welcome.

David (motherfucking) Bowie and Catherine Deneuve play fanged lovers.  Their love was supposed to be immortal, but it isn't.  When John (Bowie) withers away, Miriam (Catherine) decides that she wants to scissor Susan Sarandon.  Who doesn't?  This presents conflict, but I don't want to dwell on the plot.  The Hunger is a cult classic, yes, but maybe you haven't seen it.  Maybe you're like me, you poor schmuck.  I recommend it with all four chambers of my heart, especially the first and second half.  Heh, I made a funny.  The tragic climax is a direct hit - a clean sweep, if you please - and the ghouls...oh, the ghouls!  Sweet effects.  Fantastic; now I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment