7/26/22

Geek Out #155


You'll hear heshers defend their gatekeeping ways by insisting that you couldn't possibly understand because "you weren't there."  Oh, a hesher is a dyed-in-the-wool heavy metal adherent, usually associated with 80's thrash.  What does that have to do with The Mangler?  Well, I've often (maybe once) been asked why I've subjected myself to the film on multiple occasions.  My answer is simple, and it has nothing to do with laundry liturgy.  To be frank, you weren't there.  You weren't there, man!

1995 was the last year I can remember where flaky, ham-fucked b-movies could be given wide theatrical releases.  Imagine it.  Movies as splashy and preposterous as Tales From the Hood, Species, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (eek) were consumed on a global level.  The infestation was widespread.  Clearly, The Mangler is deficient entertainment, but it's a token from a bygone era.  And I was there.  You wouldn't understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment