6/18/23

Rassle Inn #41


Well, we collided with Collision.  I don't actually have much to say other than the fact that Collision looks to be the show that Dynamite should have been.  The difference is felt on commentary.  I've been a fan of Kevin Kelly since his WWF days, and as for Nigel McGuinness, he plays his role well enough (though I still don't see a need for heel commentators in 2023).  Hopefully, Jim Ross will stage a classy exit from the business, as I don't think he's doing himself any favors these days.  His health doesn't support his position in the company.  But what do I know?

A couple of things I noticed...for the most part, the opening match kept the action in the ring.  It would have been easy to use "hardcore" balderdash as a crutch, and God knows we've seen too many ECW-style scrimmages on AEW television lately.  Also, the referees are given more authority in key situations.  That will only be beneficial in the long run.  Overall, Collision was a fairly straightforward pro-wrestling show.  I don't have any complaints.  It will be interesting to see how CM Punk will be used on subsequent episodes.  It's kind of incredible how the crowd got behind the other Chicago native last night.  Hold that thought; a paragraph break is imminent.  This could get messy.

I'm speaking of the spunky Skye Blue.  I realize that it's not uncommon for a hometown crowd to rally around one of their own, but has she even spoken two words on air yet?  Maybe do something with her while she has forward momentum on her side?  The rest of AEW's female roster is...well, it's lacking.  I'm holding out hope that Mercedes Mone will spring up on either Dynamite or Collision.  And before the thought gains any traction, DO NOT under any circumstances ratify a roster split.  There are already too many title belts.  Tony Khan reads this column, right?  As usual, I'm operating under the assumption that my words matter in a cosmic way.  Give me a call, T.K.  I have loads of ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment