9/5/23

Blood Capsule #159

THE ETERNAL (1998)

Ultimately, your enjoyment of this film hinges on what you bring into it.  That's probably true of every film, but I needed a first sentence and that's what came out.  Typically, I'll do a certain amount of research before writing a capsule.  Information on the cast and crew, the general consensus of the audience (assuming there is an audience)...y'know, the usual particulars.  Nothing too abstract.  In the case of The Eternal, I absquatulated* without performing my due diligence.  I just didn't care.  If you're looking for someone to blame, don't look at me.  I was ready to have fun with this quasi-mummy flick.  "Quasi-mummy, you say?"  Yep.  Technically, we're dealing with the revivified remains of a druid witch, but she's an Egyptian druid witch.  You say tomato, I say straight-to-video.

Speaking of which, the late 90's were kind to horror movies with a limited release.  That's a euphemism for "straight-to-video," although today, I guess The Eternal would bypass theaters by going straight to streaming platforms.  Some of my favorite time-wasters from my adolescence fall under this umbrella.  I managed to avoid this one upon its release.  If I had known that the plot borrowed scraps from Tale of the Mummy and Under Wraps, I would have...been disappointed just the same.  In terms of pacing, our exposition shambles in slow-motion.  The artsy-fartsy script treats its characters and their relationships as precious commodities, but in truth, you couldn't begin to care about these people.  At least I couldn't.

Christopher Walken has a supporting role as a professor, which is supposed to impress you.  He goes through the motions.  Meh.  There is a scene where a guy is harpooned by a phonograph record.  That was kind of funny.

*To steal the balls of a sasquatch.  Wait, that can't be right.


No comments:

Post a Comment