10/13/24

My thoughts on Terrifier 3...


How in the hell did this film secure a wide theatrical release?  Yeah, Terrifier 2 was a surprise success, but have you seen Terrifier 3?  I have, and...yeah.  Say what you want about brazen gore (Jesus Christ, the gore), but this has to be seen as a win for the horror genre.  Doesn't it?  Maybe I'm trying to convince myself.  I did like the movie.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best film in the series.  It has a tighter sense of pacing, and unlike its direct predecessor, you could actually tell that there was an editor on the payroll.  Terrifier 3 hits all of its beats in two hours flat.  Now, that's still too long, but the thing was easier to digest.

The special effects are insane (dig the Tom Savini cameo).  All of the violence is extremely well-staged, even if it left me ambivalent at the end of the day.  This movie made me realize - more than any other recent horror hit - that my tastes are uniformly innocuous by comparison.  I appreciate gore, but I doubt that I'll ever watch Terrifier 3 again.  To be clear, it's a fine achievement.  The acting is low-key incredible.  I don't think it's engaging in hyperbole to suggest that Lauren LaVera may very well be this generation's Jamie Lee Curtis.  I'll be interested to see where her career goes from here.  Likewise, David Howard Thornton is most definitely the modern day equivalent of Robert Englund.

Ah, but how will these flicks be remembered in thirty years?  No idea.  More power to 'em.  It's been too long since a horror film has truly pissed off white bread America.  Terrifier 3 fits the bill, although your mileage may vary.  Closing thoughts?  Clint Howard rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment