7/21/24

Blood Capsule #206

This review was requested via Patreon.  If you'd like to request a review (and please do show mercy on me), click HERE.

MIDNIGHT (1982)

I need to go on a diet.  I only mention it because this film comes off like a diet version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Granted, it's missing cannibalism.  It's also missing a pervading sense of trepidation and that overall queasy feeling that permeated the Tobe Hooper classic.  In writer/director John Russo's defense, he claims that he never saw TCM before concocting this backwoods...slasher?  I guess it could be labeled as "survival horror," but then again, so could my ex-girlfriend's post-coital facial expression.  After a portentous prologue, we meet Nancy.  She runs away from home to circumvent her scumbag stepfather and winds up hitchhiking with a couple of petty thieves.  Along the way, our merry cast of ne'er-do-wells stumbles into a Leatherface-sized moonling and a pair of crooked cops.

Let me fast-forward a bit.  We find out that a Satanic cult is picking off civilians, and I don't consider that to be a spoiler.  I mean, that's your basic premise.  "Basic" is probably the most fitting adjective I could use to describe Midnight.  This is a meat-and-potatoes kind of flick, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  To the contrary!  I found the character-focused script to be refreshing.  For about an hour anyway.  The payoff doesn't land, although I got a kick out of Tom Savini's splatter effects.  Apparently, he turned down Friday the 13th Part 2 to work on this film.  There is a sequel floating around out there somewhere.  I doubt that I'll be able to nab a copy.  I shouldn't say that, as I've spent questionable amounts of money in the name of VHS collecting.  How much is questionable?  Mind your own business, partner.



No comments:

Post a Comment