7/27/24

Blood Capsule #208

8 MAN (1992)

Do "Robocop ripoffs" count as a subgenre?  I'm reorganizing my VHS collection, and I need to know where to put R.O.T.O.R.  No, actually, today's movie was only partially inspired by Alex Murphy.  Based on an anime and a manga, 8 Man tells the story of a cop who is gunned down on duty.  His remains may have been perforated with lead (or an alloy of zinc and copper; some metalhead I am), but the police chief believes that he is a perfect candidate for an experimental scientific procedure.  Yes, a supercop is born.  The department he works for contains seven subdivisions, so he is dubbed 8 Man.  It should be noted that this b-machine takes just as many cues from Ultraman and other Kyodai Hero crusaders as it does from Robocop, but the similarities are hard to miss.  Still, apart from a couple of squibs here and there, this is no bloodbath.

The 83-minute running time is deceptive.  While the film does start with zippy action sequences, it takes awhile to get to the pith of the plot.  Efforts are made to establish a love triangle.  I wasn't feeling it, but to be fair, I don't feel human emotions.  In a sense, I could relate to our protagonist.  There is a steel rod affixed to the lower half of my spine.  Scoliosis be damned, I tell people that I was gunned down on duty.  Back on topic!  The lion's share of 8 Man is nothing but nighttime exteriors, and it's constantly raining.  I mean, it's coming down in sheets.  Credit director Yasuhiro Horiuchi for making everything cinematic and streamlined.  All in all, this was an acceptable way to spend a Friday night.  The climactic showdown between dueling 8 Men is fun, although I didn't have much investment in the outcome.

Superior to Robocop 3, yet inferior to R.O.T.O.R.  Recommended to fans of 8 Mile and The Hateful Eight.  Oh, and Octaman.


Image taken from the arcade game, a side-scroller published in 1991 for the Neo Geo MVS.

No comments:

Post a Comment