7/31/24

Blood Capsule #209

ISLAND OF THE FISHMEN (1979)

I think I've made it clear that I have a well-documented admiration for "fishman" movies.  The last time I took a swim in these muddled, crepuscular waters, I encountered mediocrity in the shape of The Presence.  Just how many more "fishman" follies are snorkeling around out there?  You'd be surprised.  I have other titles in my sights, but for now, let's talk about Island of the Fishmen.  First off, you may have seen this film under a different designation.  In 1981, Roger Corman and Jim Wynorski released it as Screamers for American audiences.  It was refashioned and essentially repackaged, containing over fifteen minutes of new footage, some of which was added gore.  I peeped this version years ago, but my memories are hazy at best.  You may prefer the domestic cut.  Personally, I...need a paragraph break.

Borrowing elements from The Island of Dr. Moreau, the plot follows a prisoner ship that washes ashore onto a remote island.  The military doctor and his convict shipmates run afoul of a demented sportsman type who seems to hold authority over a (mad) scientist.  We also meet the scientist's beautiful daughter and the ichthyoid creatures that protect her.  Could these deep-sea customers be the descendants of the indwellers of Atlantis?  I hesitate to reveal much more.  This droning kind of synopsis might turn viewers away from Fishmen, but you know what?  I was entertained.  The sets are impressive, and while it does take time to start bubbling, the action is explosive.  Literally!  An erupting volcano turns the backdrop into a near-apocalyptic scene of falling stalactites and roving fishmen.

Island of the Fishmen is divested of the sleaze and bloodshed you'll find in Screamers, but I still found a way to have fun with it.  Believe it or not, there is a sequel, and yes, I'm going to grab a copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment