10/18/09

The Soda Jerk #2


SUNKIST SPARKLING LEMONADE

There are several sodas that are nearly impossible to find. Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade is one of them, but I'm fortunate enough to have a grocery store in our town that carries it. This drink is more elusive than I initially thought. There is a website devoted to shoving it into the mainstream (
www.sunkistlemonade.com), and from what I can tell, it's maintained by an everyday consumer. I couldn't even find information on SSL on Sunkist's official website. What's that all about? I've also discovered other Sunkist flavors that I've never even heard of such as Pineapple (!), Fruit Punch (!!), and Peach (!!!).

Why doesn't Sunkist promote the other flavors? It doesn't make sense. If you've seen one of these beverages and can confirm their existence, leave a comment below. With regards to SSL, it's almost a cryptozoological figure like the Yeti or the Jersey Devil. I, for one, have imbibed it, and let me tell you, it's a tasty treat. It actually tastes like lemonade. The carbonation isn't too strong, although I suppose it could be if you gulped it down straight from a bottle. It's immediately refreshing.
I wouldn't compare it to your standard lemon-lime soda (Sprite, Sun Drop, Mello Yello, Sierra Mist, 7-Up, Mountain Dew, etc.). First of all, there are no hints of lime. Secondly, it's not just lemon-flavored; it's lemonade-flavored. That's a key factor. There is a big difference between lemonade and a pure lemon drink. Of course, nothing beats homemade lemonade with just the right amount of sugar, but if you need a caffeine buzz or you're just in a poppy mood, Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade is the definitely the way to go.

That would have made a great closing sentence. I have more to say, though. Sorry about that. I couldn't find a good picture of a can of SSL, but the design is worth mentioning. Sunkist recently unveiled a new logo. It's uber-cool. The text is sitting on top of a blue whirlpool, which was an ingenious idea because the image fits with all Sunkist flavors. It makes me think of Hawaii. I dig Hawaii. The background is a gleaming yellow, a sunny shade that assists in helping the product stand out on a shelf. Maybe it's because I'm enrolled in an entrepreneurial program at college, but I appreciate quality packaging. The importance of "candy wrappers" can never be understated.

On a sidenote, if anyone reading this blog happens to have access to Vanilla Coke or Dr. Pepper Cherry Vanilla, please contact me. I'll pay you to mail me a 12-pack. Yes, I'm serious about my sodas.

No comments:

Post a Comment