3/24/21

Psycho Goreman


I'm still working on the fictional slice of creative writing that I referenced fourteen epochs ago, but I'm at a place where I'd like to try to juggle both endeavors.  Simply put, I missed this bizarro cubbyhole that I built for myself.  It's my playhouse.  Be careful when you visit, as you could step on a number of geeky widgets.  I'm talking gimmicks ranging from a teal plastic jack-o-lantern, a VHS copy of The Guyver (alongside its sequel), and a loose Goatwhore compact disc.  What the hell did I do with the inner sleeve?  Maybe I'll find it lounging next to my broken heart.  Aww...kidding!  My heart committed suicide, a vitiated, unusually violent suicide.

I wrote that inductive paragraph to illustrate why last year's Psycho Goreman is tailored to fit my palate.  Yes, it's an 80's/90's throwback, but it doesn't have a lordly, supercilious bone in its figurative body.  What do I mean?  I sense a current of cold patronage in most of the "retro" cult flicks that have been released in the past 5-10 years.  They are "retro" because it's cool.  Fans are bound to fork duckets over to check out, say, Chainsaw Whore: The Bleeding of Bouncing Teenagers (I need to copywrite that title) if it's produced to emulate their Vestron favorites.  PG is just fun.  What's more, the unique storyline warrants drippy nostalgia.

You have likely heard of the film by now, but if not, I'll set the scene.  A brother and his domineering sister find a glowing orb buried in their backyard.  This orb gives its possessor the power to control Psycho Goreman (an appellation brainstormed by the kids), an interdimensional mutant bent on destroying everything in sight.  We are told that he has already destroyed several planets.  Well, he is now controlled by Mimi, the brattiest of brats.  You can tell that the basic premise holds untold potential for amusing scenarios, and for the most part, I'd say that PG fulfills that potential.

While the film does cater to my age group, it should appeal to any lover of camp cinema.  Naturally, the budget is on the skimpy side, but the special effects are fantastically charming.  A handful of the aliens (or ghouls or whatever the fuck) are lifted straight out of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.  This writer went through a Power Ranger phase, so you can bet I was cheesing when those creatures were on display.  If I'm making it sound like a kiddie show, unbolt your haunches.  Collect yourself!  The gore is poured on thick.  Granted, PG is tonally lightweight (if it were rated, it would be a PG-13...no pun intended), but in terms of brutality, I was reminded of Turbo Kid.

A majority of the naysayers have directed bilge at Nita-Josee Hanna, the wee actress who plays Mimi.  "She's too annoying!"  No shit?  That's the whole point.  Her performance is over-the-top because the plot calls for her character to be over-the-top.  The acting is fine.  I did have a problem with the protracted ending and goddamn monologues being delivered while the climactic action played out.  There are similar moments throughout Psycho Goreman where it tries to be a little too cute.  But hey, I wasn't expecting a flawless masterpiece.  I'm late to the game in reviewing it, but if you haven't peeped this b-snack, you deserve a warrior's death.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment