8/7/21

Rassle Inn #20


So what the fuck is going on in Stamford?  At a certain point, it becomes difficult to compartmentalize the product you see on television and close it off to the cold truth of the business behind the camera.  With WWE, it's nearly impossible.  I realize that I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't give a loaf of fuck about championship contenders when I know that the paleolithic node in charge doesn't give a loaf of fuck about me or the wrestlers under his employ.  The recent rash of NXT releases served as my tipping point.  "That does it," I trumpeted to an unforgivably empty bedroom.  The walls knew I was serious, man.

It's bad enough to fire someone who doesn't deserve it.  And yet, I understand that it's an unavoidable hammer blow in the real world.  But a couple of these releases boggle the mind.  They boggle the body!  Bronson Reed?  I guess we can assume that Mr. McMahon doesn't bother to watch the yellow brand.  Reed was the NXT North American Champion in July.  That's only the second most prestigious title that a man can win in NXT.  He was still being used, for fuck's sake.  Ditto for Tyler Rust.  I need a new paragraph for my rage.

Goddamn, mothercunting Rust was in Diamond Mine, a stable featured prominently on the show.  I was a fan of this guy, but this isn't bias talking.  You can't argue with his looks (he has them), his wrestling ability (technically sound, can work with anyone), his potential, and the fact that he's a fresh talent.  Why give him marching orders?  The fuck?  I hope that there's information being withheld.  Maybe he's a racist or a rapist.  Or both!  Of course, I don't want that to be true, but the alternative means that Vince is losing his fucking mind.

I already knew that, but still.  It's a teensy bit infuriating.  WWE is Big Wrestling.  Corporate to the letter.  While writing this harangue, I was naturally reminded of Big Evil, one of The Undertaker's many personas.  Specifically, I was reminded of his heel run in 2002.  Nostalgia brought him back to the mortuary and eventually, he was The Phenom that we all loved.  Can this company go babyface before it generates go-away heat with a shrinking audience?  Can I finish this piece before I shit my pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment