2/2/22

Blood Capsule #120

UNINVITED (1987)

I have been longing to see this z-movie for gangling eons.  Now that I've seen it, I am faced with a brusque question - why did I want to see it?  I would say that Uninvited has a ringing, flagrant reputation, but it's not celebrated enough for all that.  It's obscure for a reason, I'm afraid.  The "plot" follows a patch of young tourists as they board a resplendent yacht.  One of the ditzy dames (apparently, I've just quantum-leaped back into the 30's) grabs a stray cat and carries it with her luggage.  Unbeknownst to her, the pussy has defected from a laboratory.  Unbeknownst to the viewer (and possibly writer/director Greydon Clark), there is a mutant kitty inside of the stray.

How did it get there?  Why has it mutated?  Good questions, both.  I wish that I had answers, but I only watched the film.  I cannot claim to have oracular, supersensory abilities.  The lack of a story gives Uninvited plenty of room for gore and nudity.  Tragically, neither element is proffered.  Vague blood stains are supposed to substitute for actual carnage, though George Kennedy's ankle laceration did look pretty painful.  I tried to hate this daffy sloop, but the acting is serviceable and the pace is mercifully nimble.  So Uninvited isn't disastrous.  Worse!  It's mediocre.

No comments:

Post a Comment