2/6/22

Why the long box?


Want a sudden shot of nostalgia?  I didn't hear your answer, so I'll just proceed as planned.  Remember CD longboxes?  They disappeared in the early-to-mid 90's, but if you're old enough, you remember them well.  They were defined as "exterior paperboard packaging."  Essentially, the casing extended vertically to a length of twelve inches, the same dimensions as a standard 33⅓ vinyl record.

Longboxes never attracted the mooning, romantic wistfulness that VHS evoked in millions.  Vinyl has seen a resurgence.  Most underground bands still release their music on cassette tape.  The lonely longbox?  Eh, no one gives a shit.  Or so I thought.  The new Immolation album -- Acts of God -- will see release in various formats, including the longbox!  I don't know of any other "modern" band who has released albums on longbox CD, but I haven't exactly kept watch for such an occurrence.  Why Nuclear Blast is making this call (assuming it was a label decision) is anyone's best guess.  Am I alone in thinking that it's kind of cool?

I pre-ordered my copy.  It was $25, but I didn't mind paying a few extra duckets for a sweet novelty item.  Hey, you never know.  An Acts of God longbox might fetch a pretty penny in a decade.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to write about...metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment