9/11/22

Rassle Inn #32


Earlier today, I was listening to Smashing Pumpkins' Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.  Fucking great collection of songs.  "Jellybelly" careened into my neurotransmitter when I was reminded that Billy Corgan - of all people - was one of the better wrestling promoters in North America.  A large percentage of his fans probably don't know (or care) that he divides his time between recording studios and the squared circle.  Am I being audacious by proclaiming him to be a practiced promoter?  Maybe, but from my perspective, it's true.

Corgan has mastered the very thing that WWE and AEW often overlook.  Obviously, I'm talking about supernatural stables that cause unearthly, numinous blackouts in the arena.  I kid; no, I'm speaking of simplicity (gratuitous italics denote salience).  Everything featured on NWA Powerrr makes sense.  It's also fun.  I'll give you an example.  A recent episode pitted NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion Homicide against a scrappy challenger in the form of Ricky Morton.  Yes, that Ricky Morton.  It was a short match, but it was quite enjoyable seeing the tested veteran sell for a contemporary wrestler.  Dude can hang.

You can watch NWA Powerrr on YouTube for free every week.  I promise that I'm not a paid sponsor.  I don't know that I could campaign for a show that calls Velvet Sky one of its commentators anyway.  Aww, she's not so bad.  Should I interpose my opinion on the whole CM Punk debacle?  Irony be damned, my sentiments are - say it with me - simple.  We don't know what happened behind closed doors.  In fact, we don't know why Punk and The Elite are at paradoxical odds with each other.  Give me specifics.  You can't!  That's precisely my point.

I'm dumbfounded by the amount of people who have designated Punk as the bad guy when they have never even grazed his shoulders at a convention or volleyed funnel cake at his gimmick table.  Um, I don't know why I chose funnel cake as a hypothetical concession weapon, but my point stands.  If you don't know, you don't know.  I will contend, however, that his injury-prone physique leaves a crater in Tony Khan's long-term plans.  It doesn't do much for the short term either.  And now I want funnel cake.  Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment