9/22/22

A Band: Acid Witch


This website has already passed its 10-year anniversary without much fanfare.  For those curious, I started Random Reviews Incorporated in late 2009.  I mention it because it wasn't much later (early 2010) that I posted a random (natch) squib about Acid Witch.  Don't bother looking it up.  I'll probably repurpose some of the adjectives I used to describe this gnarly band.  You may be wondering why I'm choosing to spotlight their fiendish grooves when I've already yapped about them in the past.  Well, they're still hovering just below obscurity, and in my illustrious opinion, they are poised to become a group that every horror junkie spins at or around Halloween.  I'm calling it!

It's strange to think that Acid Witch - comprised of members appropriated from Shitfucker and Temple of Void, among others - has been active for nearly fifteen years now.  They came roaring out of the gate with 2008' Witchtanic Hallucinations, a killer record that I opined was "tailor-made to serve as a backdrop to spooky movie marathons and costume contests."  The isochronal samples seal it.  2017's Evil Sound Screamers uses a clip from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood to inaugurate the proceedings.  Of Course, the audio is distorted whenever our yellow-clad friend mentions candy laced with drugs (gotta watch out for those fentanyl lollipops) or apple cores harboring razor blades.

At their inception, Acid Watch didn't steer too far away from meat-and-potatoes hard rock, bestial growls notwithstanding.  Later albums weaponized heavier riffs, however, to the point where I would expect the next long player to traffic in rarefied death metal.  What else can I say?  Acid Witch is just fucking cool.  How cool?  2018's Midnight Movies EP features covers of tunes from 1986's Trick or Treat and 1988's Black Roses.  They are set to release a single in October (actually, it might already be available) and I've heard that a new album is in the works.

Let's hope that the mercury drops outside so that I can wear my badass Acid Witch hoodie.  They have a shit-ton of merch, by the way.  Buy all of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment