11/2/22

Blood Capsule #130

FULCI FOR FAKE (2019)

Lucio Fulci is my favorite European auteur.  It could be said that he peddled the same brand of lush, prismatic gore as Dario Argento, but for reasons undetermined (and thus unspecified), I always preferred the maestro of Italian horror.  His scares hit with less pretense.  Just my opinion, kids...sure, I'm right, but the tears are a bit much.  At times, Fulci for Fake is a bit much.  I feel like I can speak for all fans when I say that we only wanted a documentary.  We didn't need director Simone Scafidi to interpolate himself into this brocade of genuinely interesting material by virtue of a groundless subplot.  Yes, subplot.

The viewer is asked to go along with the idea that our narrator is grooming actresses to be slaughtered on the side.  If the heart of Fake wasn't so earnest and authentic (the interview segments with a crippled Camilla Fulci will batter your emotions), I don't know that it would be worth recommending.  But here I am recommending it.  Use your own judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment