11/8/22

A Band: Witherfall


Bye.  Oopsy-daisy!  I got the order switched around.  Before I announce my imminent departure (road trip...I shouldn't be gone too long), I wanted to jot down an adjective or two about Witherfall.  Maybe a verb?  No, fuck verbs!

I used to be categorically anti-power metal.  What can I say?  If you don't listen to the stuff, you assume the worst.  Y'know, elves and shit.  Then you stumble upon bands such as Control Denied, Spiral Architect, Tad Morose, and Nevermore (yes, they're power-adjacent).  It is at that moment you realize that power metal extends beyond sprites and kobolds.  It can be technical.  Barring musical trivialities, it can also touch on more human sensibilities.  From my perspective, it's easier to headbang if your neck isn't chained to a goddamn unicorn.

Enter Witherfall.  Imagine if Nevermore were fronted by Hansi Kursch.  Better yet, imagine a heavier Demons & Wizards.  Fuck to the yeah!  The California-based coterie currently sits at three long players, each one as strong as the last.  I'm dead serious when I avouch to you, my darling, that I can't pick a favorite.  You could start at the beginning, but I advise sucking down 2021's Curse of Autumn.  The production is full-bodied all around.  So you know it's worth sucking.  Hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment