2/18/23

Blood Capsule #142

FEAR NO EVIL (1969)

Bearing no resemblance to the 1981 schlocktail of the same name, Fear No Evil is a sultry, measured dollop of made-for-TV horror.  It was actually NBC's first "Movie of the Week."  My expectations were high.  These nuggets from a formal, somewhat austere past may come off as dated, but let's face it; I was in the market for something wholesome.  If you've been paying attention to recent Z'Dar ratings, you know that I've been in a batting slump where b-pictures are concerned.  I was hopeful that a tonal about-face would yield more agreeable results.  The verdict?  Eh, can I plead insanity?  I'm being a drama queen.  This flick didn't rankle my nimbus of equanimity (y'know, I can be a real asshole sometimes), but I didn't exactly leave the theater satisfied.

"Dom," you cut in.  "You watched Fear No Evil at a theater?"  Nope!  Now stop interrupting.  A synopsis would tell you that our teleplay deals with a cursed mirror, but that's only peeling back one layer of the onion.  And believe me; it's an onion.  There is also the matter of a psychologist who suspects that demonology is behind his patient's car accident.  I know it seems like we're in the weeds, but to be perfectly honest, there isn't enough plot here for a feature-length film.  The pace is achingly slow.  Alternatively, I dug the thaumaturgic atmosphere, and while I'm checking off the "pro" column, Lynda Day George gives a robust performance as the grieving lead.  She looks scrumptious, too.

Tune in next time to see if I review the sequel.  Spoiler: I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment