7/27/20

Matches That Time Forgot #68



If you've been watching AEW for several moons (even if you just watch Dark), you know of a deranged fellow by the name of Luther.  Commentators told us that he has a history filled with death matches in Japan.  And that's true!  After doing some research, I found that he trained in the infamous Hart Dungeon and made his debut for Stampede Wrestling.  That has very little bearing on today's match that time forgot, but I thought it was interesting.  Apparently, he used the name Mad Jack precisely once.  It was for an episode of WCW Worldwide (deary-dear) in 2000 (shitty-shit).

I love watching old episodes of Worldwide for this very reason.  No, not to prop up a dying, moribund column; I dig them because the matches are so random and so...well, random.  That's the word.  I've featured Vampiro here before (suck my link), and while I'm certainly a fan, I had never seen this well-hidden bout.  It's standard fare.  Toward the finish, you can plainly hear Lut--er, "Mad Jack" calling spots.  His skull is drilled into the mat for the 1-2-3!  Spoiler?  On a sidenote, holy shit, Vampiro is over like gangbusters.  And he was coming off of his tonally bizarre feud with Sting.  It's almost as if the office wasted his superstar potential or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment