6/8/24

A Band: Weapon


I'll make this direct and to the point, which is fitting because Weapon's music is a direct punch to the gut (the good kind).  Who is Weapon?  They were a blackened death metal band that hailed from Canada, releasing two EPs and three LPs before calling it quits in 2013.  As is usually the case with unsung obscurities, I don't remember how I chanced upon them.  Naturally, Weapon was done kicking ass when I did find out about them.  I'm most familiar with their third album, 2012's Embers and Revelations, but you should know that all of their material is worth scoping out.

So what do they sound like?  I just perused the "Similar Artists" tab on Metal Archives out of curiosity, and I would say the closest touchstones are The Chasm and late-era Rotting Christ.  Also, I'm hearing a hefty dose of Behemoth.  To be specific, I'm hearing shades of Demigod and Zos Kia Cultus.  It's becoming popular in the underground to slag Behemoth, and I don't know why.  That's probably a tangent I should neglect to pursue, but personally, I love those Behemoth records.  Your mileage may vary.  Weapon's tunes are stippled with blastbeats and a generous portion of lead breaks.  If you're a fan of guitar solos, this is the band for you.  And wouldn't you know it?  I'm a fan of guitar solos.

Lyrically, we're in Satanic territory.  I would bemoan the trite themes being dissected here, but at least this stuff is well-written.  As a writer, that's honestly more important to me than the content itself.  So yeah.  Check out Weapon.


No comments:

Post a Comment