6/17/24

Blood Capsule #201

BURIAL GROUND: THE NIGHT OF TERROR (1981)

File this one under "movies I really should have seen by now."  Burial Ground feels like a lost Lucio Fulci joint, which means it's right up my alley.  For the record, my alley is littered with refuse and alcohol-scented bums that look like George "Buck" Flower.  Back on topic, Dom!  The plot is so bare, that if it were a person, I would be concerned for its well-being.  All gaunt and rawboned, the script follows an archeologist who has uncovered a putrid crypt, a baronial thing of stone that houses an army of the undead.  And that's it.  My meager synopsis could almost pass for the script itself.  There are plenty of characters, but you will only remember Michael.  Oh, Michael.  He is the awkward son of our leading lady.  Don't ask me to pinpoint his age.  Most likely, he frequents kindergarten (the jury's out on whether he's a student or a teacher).

Burial Ground is notorious for its rampant gore.  Again, I'm reminded of Fulci, but as much as I love The Beyond and City of the Living Dead, they are a little harder to penetrate.  This flick doesn't follow dream logic.  No, it's wide awake, and the breakneck pace ensures viewer participation.  Once the zombie action starts in earnest, it doesn't let up until we see the ending credits.  Needless to say, the special effects are stupendous.  While it may be true that exploding heads lose their charm after awhile - wait, hold up; that's not true at all!  Add Burial Ground: The Night of Terror (a.k.a. Zombie Minus One...just kidding) to your chopping list pronto.  It's an effortless watch.  I'm deducting one Z'Dar because of Michael.  Oh, Michael.


No comments:

Post a Comment