1/15/21

Blood Capsule #105

GRETEL & HANSEL (2020)

I remember this bleak fairy tale as one of the last pre-pandemic pictures to populate theaters.  It didn't exactly set the box office on fire, and the critical reaction was consonantly tepid.  I'll admit that the flick has its failings, but altogether, I came away with a favorable opinion of Oz Perkins's coming-of-age retelling of a decidedly dark chestnut.  What a weird little subgenre.  Or is it a sub-subgenre?  All I know is that 1994's Snow White: A Tale of Terror is shipshape and that I need to uproot a copy of 1996's Pinocchio's Revenge.  But I won't bore you with personal histrionics.  Besides, you'll be busy being spooked by Alice Krige's portrayal of a backcountry crone.

Seriously...sheesh!  Krige gave me the heebies, the jeebies, and somehow, anal fissures.  Gretel & Hansel is weighted with harrowing imagery.  Perkins has a savvy, acuminous eye for visuals that will lodge themselves into your consciousness.  I love the way he plays with color and contrast.  The film's surface area is arresting enough to offset the crawling pace.  Others will disagree.  Personally, I was game, but there are stretches where Gretel will lose the less occupied.  That's not a knock on antsy viewers.  Had it been later at night, I may have submitted to sleep myself.

Pairs well with 2015's The VVitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment