5/19/21

Blood Capsule #109

Yongary, Monster From the Deep (1967)

How has this ingot of Korean mintage slipped under my radar?  For shit's sake, I'm a kaijusexual.  Our freedoms may not be acknowledged by your system, but I still demand to know every Godzilla knock-off under the sun.  Technically, I did know the title.  1999's Reptilian is known as Yonggary (don't forget the extra "g") in its native South Korea.  The point remains that I'm just now exposing myself to the raffish radioactivity of Yongary; nevermind the fact that this is a rare occasion where the monster has nothing to do with atomic testing.  Nope, our herculean hooligan is kindled by a series of earthquakes.  I was going to try to work in a Tori Amos joke (y'know, Little Earthquakes), but I'll spare you the desperation.

There is virtually nothing unique or noteworthy about this b-litter.  I liked it!  Why?  I can't really explain it.  Most of my veneration owes to the destruction sequences.  The miniatures aren't particularly detailed, but they play their role.  At this point, Korea was ravaged by war, so any effects-laden production has to be graded on a curve.  The pace is alert.  I was more entertained than I expected to be, and that's even taking the requisite "annoying child" kaiju trope into account.  My God, that kid is annoying.  Yongary isn't dancing, you dense little shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment