5/16/21

I mean, I dug Jeepers Creepers...


It's no secret that I love Creepshow.  It's my second favorite horror film of all time, beaten only by the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  When I heard that there would be a streaming series based on the fictitious omnibus comic book, I had mixed feelings.  At the time, I didn't know who the hell would be involved.  As soon as Taurus Entertainment became attached to the project, my pancreas sank into my cunt.  Did we learn nothing from Creepshow 3?

Thankfully, Greg Nicotero (the "N" in KNB) jumped into the fray.  It's evident that he cares about the material.  Apart from the odd fizzling misfire, the majority of vignettes maintain a consistent stratum of quality.  I miss those communal days when you tuned into a certain channel at a certain time to watch, say, The X-Files, but I have to admit we are fortunate that a serialized Creepshow isn't bogged down by TV censors.  Zombies are free to munch on intestines.  Barbara Crampton is free to tell a plumber to fuck himself.  That's a win/win situation!

I won't review each installment, but I was compelled to jot down a few thoughts on "Night of the Living Late Show," the latest episode.  Unlike its precedents, the entirety of the episode is devoted to one story.  First off, it's nice to see Justin Long again.  I have so many questions for that guy.  Anyway, the way that "Living Late Show" interlaces classic footage into the narrative is ingenious.  How neat would it be to walk into your favorite movie and speak to the characters?  The premise is full of possibilities.  Honestly, I'd love to hand the plot over to Christopher Nolan and just...stand back.

That's not to say that Nicotero (he occupied the director's chair for this little ditty) defalcated the minutes with which he was entrusted.  His efforts are splendid.  I had fun with "Living Late Show," though I was marginally disappointed by the ending.  Without spoiling it, the payoff wasn't worth the build-up.  In my opinion.  Shit, Herman's Head is starting.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment