5/26/21

An EP Interpolation


I don't want to derail my Cannibal Corpse train by discussing every little thing they released.  Originally, their extended plays were going to be met with icy dismissal.  I can be a catty bitch if the situation calls for it.  I've already evaluated this EP's title track, but there are two other selections (or four, depending on which version you're spinning).  First up to bat, a cover of Possessed's "The Exorcist."  If you dug the original, I don't see why you wouldn't get a reasonable passel of jollies out of the refucked rendition.  Obviously, the vocals slay.  From the sound of it, I'd say this material was recorded during the Tomb sessions, so we're in the Chris Barnes sweet spot.

The "last" song (quotations because again, it depends on the version) is a deathly take on Black Sabbath's "Zero the Hero."  I love the fact that they opted to tackle a deep cut.  It would have been too easy to make a run at "Paranoid" or "War Pigs."  I'm sure that would been cool in its own way, but then we wouldn't have heard that chorus with those growls.  Priceless.  Oh, about the alternate Hammer Smashed Face...I don't know if it was exclusive to Japanese pressings or fan club bundles shipped to the moon, but in total, it features two extra tracks.

Calm down!  You've heard both of them.  Hopefully.  "Meat Hook Sodomy" and "Shredded Humans" are the fourth and fifth decompositions, respectfully.  All three CC albums are represented, which is kind of neat.  Remember, they only had three to represent.  Hammer Smashed Face works as a heavily, heavily truncated greatest hits compilation.  And of course, the cover art is sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment