12/22/22

Rassle Inn #35


So I'm watching AEW Dark (because I'm bored) and who do I see?  Kenny Omega.  Yep, he wrestled on Dark.  To be more specific, he wrestled what should have been a short squash against one of his pals from his jejune days in DDT.  Instead, it was competitive.  I can hear Jim Cornette crying now.  There were a dozen false finishes, the offense was split down the middle, and while I didn't have a stopwatch handy, the match felt ten minutes long.  For those of you playing at home, that's roughly nine minutes too long.  Omega is a former champion, and I'm not talking about one of the eleven midcard belts.  Why is he being tested on the YouTube show?

Of course, it's incredibly rare for a star name to appear on Dark.  Two short years ago, the show was actually worth watching.  Remember that Dark?  The format changed "due to the pandemic," but I call bullshit.  It didn't need to change at all.  As it exists right now, the paltry presentation is a breeding ground for jobbers.  Comma!  Which brings me to Action Andretti.  In what universe is an arena full of fans chanting "let's go, jobber" a good thing for the wrestling business?  You can't appeal to smart marks only AND broaden your potential audience.

And let's not kid ourselves; Chris Jericho was giving himself the rub.  Listen to any interview with the gasbag and you'll infer why he did the job last Wednesday night.  He enjoys telling us that he saw something special in that young bloke.  By the way, this method of getting someone over has worked once in thirty years.  I'm sorry, but Action Andretti is not the 1-2-3 Kid.  Completely different crowd, completely different set of circumstances, completely different Dom...I'm fucking jaded now and maybe a little pissed that AEW is no longer an upstart company threatening to depose an evil empire.  You had one shot, Tony.  You also had one chance to make a first impression and too many people chose to turn the channel.

Wow, I'm super pessimistic today.  Sorry.  I'll try to write something positive next time.  It's just that...well, I don't think I want to admit that I prefer WWE's product.  "They" are the Yankees.  I despise the Yankees!  Aaron Judge seems like a nice guy, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment