12/14/22

A Band: The Antichrist Imperium


Remember Akercocke?  If not, they were (are?) five well-dressed gentlemen from London, England who delivered face-ripping, yet avant-garde death metal directly to your doorstep.  In 2017, they released Renaissance in Extremis, their first set of new material in a full decade.  It has been radio silence ever since.  Drop that noose because I have good news.  Akercocke is still around!  Kinda.  Maybe.  I should explain.

The Antichrst Imperium is an intriguing project based out of London, England featuring two members of Akercocke (including snake-armed drummer David Gray).  And boy, do they sound a fucking lot like Akercocke.  Look, I'm not repining over a contentious case of plagiarism, but the similarities are there.  Both bands give you hyperblasting death metal (Gray is a goshdarn gunsmith, if you'll excuse the language), ghostly clean vocals, and lyrical...no, silvery (!) keyboards that recall 80's goth/new wave.  The two groups are identical on tape.

Normally, I'd bloviate more about the music, but this edition of A Band is centered on facts.  FACT: Akercocke rules.  FACT: The Antichrist Imperium rules.  FACT: I forgot to count their third long player - III: Satan in His Original Glory - among my list of the top records of 2022.  FACT: That makes me a loggerhead.  FACT: I recommend starting with II: Every Tongue Shall Praise Satan.  FACT: These guys really, really dig Satan.

No comments:

Post a Comment