12/28/22

My Bandcamp "Collection"

Do you buy music?  I do.  Yes, a part of me still lives in 1995, but beyond nostalgia, I try to support bands where I can.  Usually, this manifests as merch.  I can only own so many kvlt t-shirts, though.  A solid 2023 way to support cool bands is to download their music on Bandcamp.  The funds go directly to the artists and the prices are almost always fair (some records are free).

No, I'm not being paid to advertise Bandcamp or any particular band.  I just wanted to talk about the stuff I downloaded as recently as yesterday.  DOM FACTOID: I can't use my hands, so when it comes to music, it's easy (and preferable) to simply ask Alexa to play a certain album.  I'm routinely shocked by the obscure metal that my Amazon Music Unlimited plan has the ability to access.  Unfortunately, I listen to a lot (like, A LOT) of bands that I can't fucking pronounce!  For those special circumstances (and for shit that Alexa can't/won't play), I download the record in question.  As a sidenote, I do buy tapes and CD's as well.  Just because.

My bandcamp collection is vast.  Voluminous even!  My hard drive contains five (5) entire albums of recorded sound.  I know.  Pick your jaw up from the floor.  Here's what I jam on the ol' laptop...

HAVUKRUUNU - KUU ERKYLAN YLLA

Havukruunu play wintry black metal that goes down smooth like a Norwegian brume lurking between treetops.  This is an EP, though it runs for nearly half an hour.  It does approach "viking" territory, but I won't hold that against anyone.

PAN-AMERIKAN NATIVE FRONT - LITTLE TURTLE'S WAR

It's official; Native American black metal is a thing (has been for awhile), and this is one of the best examples of it that I've been able to find.

ABYSSAL - DENOUEMENT

I've been an Abyssal advocate for a few years now.  The U.K.-based project churns out uber-heavy death metal that compresses your vital organs and fucks out your eyeballs.  This is their debut, which might be my favorite.  Be sure to check out the rest of their discography.

SHORES OF NULL - QUIESCENCE

Alice in Chains-flavored doom.  Need I say more?

WAMPYRINACHT - NIGHT OF THE DESECRATION

This is one of (too) many albums that I forgot to include in my year-end list.  Wampyrinacht dabble in marginally psychedelic black metal that boasts a decent amount of frenetic soloing.  I've only listened to this sick puppy once, but it obviously kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment