12/1/22

Blood Capsule #131

HALF-CASTE (2004)

This is where I divulge that I nodded off during parts of today's review subject.  Shouldn't that disqualify me from proffering my impressions of said film?  Yes, but I say we sally forth.  I'm at a point in my life where I need divine inspiration, and Half-Caste, the lone credit for everyone involved, did not provide a wellspring of creative impulses.  The plot finds an assemblage of filmmakers gallivanting around South Africa in search of a half-human/half-leopard, an urban legend that may prove to be a bellwether for deathly...oh, forget it.  The movie doesn't bother cultivating menace, so why should I?

The horrid truth is that this is an early stab at "found footage" fright fare.  It doesn't work because - excuse me while I crack my knuckles - the characters are execrable (not to mention hard to tell apart in the case of our two male leads), the special effects are lacking (even in the pitch of night), and the tenuous subplots wouldn't arrest a bloodied freak in an orange jumpsuit.  That's a miserable metaphor, but like I said, Half-Caste didn't give me much material.  I wouldn't want my name associated with a review of the project, much less the project itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment