1/15/23

Blood Capsule #137

SUPERBEAST (1972)

As homework, I watched Rob Zombie's video for "Superbeast."  I don't know what I was hoping to glean from it, but with critical hindsight, I see that I could have watched any music video to prepare for this Blood Capsule (caps optional).  Has Rob Zombie even seen this flick?  His flowery, baroque lyrics don't mention the off-screen violence or the uncomfortable racist undertones.  Maybe I'm reading too much into the story of a female pathologist who stumbles upon a perfectly mad scientist in the middle of a jungle.  The deceptively persuasive doctor has been turning locals into misshapen mutants in a vain bid to ameliorate mankind's inner brutality.  Yeah.

Jesus, Superbeast is boring.  Nothing here inspired me to write a danceable rock song, that I can assure you.  I suppose that Antoinette Bower gives a coherent performance as the damsel in (mild) distress.  The chase scenes are about as compelling as an extra-point field goal.  You know I'm groping for words when I employ football references.  Asking for a friend, but would a Panther fan be allowed to switch loyalties and root for the Jaguars on account of the fact that they were both expansion teams that entered the league in 1995?  Just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment