7/4/23

Blood Capsule #153

RABID GRANNIES (1988)

I should never watch behind-the-scenes footage after sitting through a tawdry, cheapjack b-movie.  It colors my opinion of the film.  How so?  Well, when you see how hard everyone worked on set, clearly driven by their passion for the "business" of cinematic scares, you feel a little guilty for rebuking their efforts.  I don't know if an apology is in order, but I'm sorry, gang; I didn't have fun with Rabid Grannies.  It's not a bad production per se.  One factor tarnishing my viewing experience can be chalked up to technicalities.  I should explain.  The mostly French cast struggled to recite their English dialogue, so their lines were (poorly) dubbed.  As a result, I couldn't understand half of what these folks were saying, and no, English subtitles were not available.

That leaves us with...eh, it doesn't leave us with much of anything.  On the positive side, this flick is abounding with all manner of in-camera effects that will please fans of the old school.  Our monsters - elderly victims of demonic possession - are cool, but I kept waiting for them to reach a far-out stage of mutation that just didn't come.  I'm being picky, I know.  The gore is nice, and while the script never settles on a main character, we do see ancillary boobs.  Hey, ancillary boobs are better than no boobs at all, right?  At the end of a rainy day, Rabid Grannies may not be the Troma powerhouse it purports to be, but you've seen worse.  I shouldn't be so presumptuous.  Maybe you haven't seen worse.  In which case, you're living a charmed life, and you probably aren't scouring the web for horror reviews.


No comments:

Post a Comment