10/23/23

Now Playing

Alkaloid - Numen

One day, I looked up quantum theory out of innocent, yet sternum-splintering boredom.  I learned a little about subatomic particles, eigenvectors, and parallel dimensions.  Heady stuff, but what did I actually retain?  It's not important.  What's important is that Alkaloid loves science as much as they love progressive death metal.  The band is technically a side project comprised of members from Obscura, Dark Fortress, and Eternity's End among many, many others (drummer Hannes Grossmann is in every band on the planet).  Being a fan of the associated acts, I was on board with Alkaloid in 2015 when they issued their head-scratchingly amazing debut (see The Malkuth Grimoire).  2018 saw the release of Liquid Anatomy.  It was a functional follow-up, but it didn't quite tickle my neurotransmitter receptors.

Comparatively, Numen is the proverbial tickle monster.  Buyer beware - this is a massive double album.  I can only speak for myself, but I haven't felt overwhelmed by these compositions.  That's impressive, considering the intricate nature of the songwriting.  Tracks such as "The Cambrian Explosion" and "A Fool's Desire" are sophisticated without sacrificing the almighty riff.  Do I even need to mention the guitar work?  It's mad, I say.  Mad.  PRO TIP: The album title should only be spoken like an incensed Jerry Seinfeld.  Four or five of you are laughing pretty hard right now.

Dio - Dream Evil

I don't listen to traditional heavy metal all that much, but when the mood strikes, Dio is a go-to artist that never disappoints.  At the outset, let me recuse myself by stating that I am by no means an expert on The Man on the Silver Mountain.  That said, I know enough to know that 1987's Dream Evil was somewhat of a course correction after the maudlin Sacred Heart (which I do like; I can't dislike any Dio record).  Songs are overall darker and harder-hitting affairs.  You still get your fist-pumping anthems in the shape of "Sunset Superman" and "Naked in the Rain."  "All the Fools Sailed Away" is a ridiculously strong ballad that might be my favorite cut here.  I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, though.  I mean, it's Dio.  End of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment