10/8/23

The Exorcist: Believer


Disclaimer?  I don't know if this is necessary or not, but I'm not exactly married to this franchise.  I do recognize the 1973 original as a bona fide classic.  As for the sequels, they simply exist.  Actually, I take that back.  The Exorcist III rules, but the others...hell, I didn't even bother renting Exorcist: The Beginning.  Considering that Hollywood hasn't had a good-faith relationship with fans, I can't say that I'm surprised by the scurrilous reaction to The Exorcist: Believer.  I can, however, say that I wasn't betting on my reaction being favorable at all.  Turns out, I liked it!  Go figure.  If you go in expecting this 2023 sequel to mirror the scarifying (it's a word) shocks of the first film, you will be disappointed.

Maybe that's it.  Maybe my congenital pessimism set me up for success.  Because I didn't think for a second that director David Gordon Green would take his time establishing a pregnant mood, if you'll allow the obnoxious wordplay.  We skip a title screen and dive headfirst into a prologue.  Victor's wife is a couple of trimesters deep into a pregnancy while the happy couple is vacationing in Haiti.  Unfortunately, a massive earthquake lands the mother-to-be in a hospital bed.  It's a worst case scenario, as Victor is forced to choose who lives and who dies.  Fast-forward thirteen years.  His daughter disappears into the woods with a friend.  Obviously, they find the girls safe, but that's not a spoiler.  You know that they are possessed by a demon.  Let's move on.

I mentioned that Green demonstrates patience arranging his horror in such a way that it pays off premeditated streaks of momentum.  And he does, but I must confess that there were times during the exposition where my eyes wandered.  It doesn't really have the feel of a genre piece until the third...er, fourth act, so I can commiserate with those who fault the pacing.  Most of the negative reviews have been unfair, though.  Just my dweeb opinion, but I think that Believer jabs when it needs to jab and ducks when it needs to duck.  "But Dom, it's not a boxer."  Point well taken.  I was ready to sign off right before the climax, but without giving anything away, I dug the decisions that were made when it came to closing certain holes in the script.

The acting is excellent.  Leslie Odom Jr. and Norbert Leo Butz are both believable as concerned fathers.  I suppose that country singer Jennifer Nettles is alright, but I have no idea why she's in this movie (the movie doesn't know either).  Ellen Burstyn was forthright about accepting her role for the money, which was subsequently given to charity.  You know what?  She's great.  It was cool seeing that other lady, too.  Yes, it's cloying fan service, but I'm okay with it.  I'm not going to proclaim that The Exorcist: Believer is a masterpiece, but it's as entertaining as it probably could be.  Again, adjust your expectations accordingly.  The power of popcorn compels you!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment