10/19/23

Rassle Inn #46


I just wrapped Wrestlers on Netflix.  First of all, I recommend checking it out.  It's a docu-series that chronicles a summer quarter for OVW (Ohio Valley Wrestling).  You may have heard about OVW through WWE.  It was a developmental territory where such stars as John Cena, Brock Lesnar, and Shelton Benjamin broke into the business.  In those halcyon days, it was overseen by the ever-contentious Jim Cornette.  Fast-forward to the modern day.  OVW is now run by Al Snow, a legend in his own right.

Wrestlers gives you a look into the cogs and gears of a small wrestling promotion on the brink of bankruptcy.  It's interesting to see the tension between those in charge of creative and those who act as financial boosters.  The "cast" of the show is populated with talents you may have seen in other promotions.  Off the top of my head, Mr. Pectacular Jessie Godderz had a spell in Impact (I believe he was there when it was still called TNA), and I know I've seen Hollywood Haley J somewhere before.  It may have been WOW, the company executive produced by A.J. Mendez.  Leila Grey was signed by AEW, though I haven't seen her on television in awhile.

The season finale culminates with The Big One, which is OVW's version of Wrestlemania.  I must admit, I was pulled in far enough to want to know where the key players ended up.  Hopefully, Netflix goes ahead with a second season.  As for the major leagues, I haven't watched much AEW in recent weeks.  It's a situation where bad booking has actively turned me away from a product, and that's a bummer.  WWE is...still WWE.  At this point, that is neither a pro nor a con.  I have been paying more attention to NXT.  I'm glad that Brian Pillman Jr. (or Lexus King) is finally being utilized in a sensible manner.  And I guess I can say the same for Jade Cargill.

Man, this is probably the least enthusiastic edition of Rassle Inn I have penned to date.  An apology is in order.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch as many Head Cheese matches as humanly possible.  If I have to explain anything beyond typing "Head Cheese," you are at the wrong establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment