6/27/21

Edge of the Axe


Director Jose Ramon Larraz considers 1988's Edge of the Axe to be his worst film.  To me, that's just weird.  I respect his opinion.  It's obviously an informed opinion, and I would surmise that he has sapient, discerning insight into his own works.  But this flick isn't too shabby!  Perhaps when he made that judgment, he was skimming the surface.  On its face, Edge is a suit-and-tie slasher.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It's not as challenging as, say, 1980's Stigma or 1974's Symptoms, but there exists a cadre of disreputable rubes who enjoy slummy, unkempt b-pictures.  Y'know, shitheads.  A congregation of which I am a member.

Ol' Jose wasn't thinking of the underbelly of the film buff community.  Actually, it's more likely that Edge was concocted with us in mind.  This is basically a lost Friday the 13th sequel, minus camp counselors and a hockey mask.  Oh, and nudity.  A baffling omission, that.  If I may, I'd like to go back and talk about masks.  Our killer's cloak is cool (so is Coca-Cola and concubine kiosks), and while I understand the comparisons to Michael Myers, I think the general outlay passes muster.  It has its own vibe.  The huge fucking axe helps.  One would assume that such an implement would set in motion an array of messy death sequences.  Nah.

Don't get me wrong, my pet; blood is spilled, but the gore is limited to streaks of plasma.  There is a severed finger.  It's really exciting.  So, so exciting.  I wish it was easier to convey sarcasm in print.  I haven't sold Edge as a festive sit, but I did enjoy those 91 minutes.  Can you believe that the characters and their synergy are more involving than the horror happenings brought to light?  Not by much, but it's true.  Barton Faulks and Page Mosely (no relation to Bill, as far as I can tell) play the male leads as decent fellows, so it's easy to root for them.  Christina Marie Lane is warm and cute as Lillian.  Here again, you're in the protagonist's corner.

Somewhere between the halfway point and the big reveal, I was reminded that I was scoping a whodunit.  Was I successful in guessing the identity of the larvate evildoer?  No.  Was I satisfied with the ending?  No.  Did it make sense?  No.  Do I recommend Edge of the Axe in spite of these - and other - snags?  Yes!  This is popcorn entertainment.  I streamed it late at night, and yet, I didn't fall asleep.  If you're Dom, that's worthy of note.  Robert Z'Dar says, "I'm edging."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment