4/3/23

Rassle Inn #39


This might be the most scatterbrained edition of Rassle Inn yet.  What's a more appropriate word for how I felt after watching the main event of Wrestlemania (night two because this was just way too epic for one card)?  How about brainless?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that Wrestlemania was supposed to be the period at the end of a protracted, much-ballyhooed sentence.  Not a comma, not a semi-colon, not an ellipsis...a f*cking period!  Listening to Triple H defend backwards booking at the requisite, yet superfluous press conference, it sounds like he's trying to convince himself that Roman's victory was the right call.  He knows better.

That's just it.  We are told that Trips is the guy in charge (with respect to creative anyway), and then, something happens that goes against everything in the unwritten playbook.  On a chromosomal level, he knows better.  So where do we pin the blame?  The father-in-law?  WWE's newfound dalliance with sports betting?  It has to be a decision based on finance, as we know it's not a decision based on logic.  Just picture over 80,000 frenzied fans waiting for the moment - the tacit permission given by storytelling - to explode into a quasar of cheers, only to be socked in the gut and left flat.  And for what?  A swerve?  Damn it, Cody Rhodes should be the champion right now.  If you disagree, you're overthinking it.  Oh, and you're wrong.

Common sense is easy.  Why doesn't it dictate all major booking decisions in professional wrestling?  My involuntary reaction is to say "money," but Christ, how many billions do these people need?  Before you toss the "m" word in my direction, I'm not exactly a Rhodes fanboy.  If anything, I'm a mark for wrestling that makes sense, and man, this whole angle was too good to be true.  Heh, I guess I answered my own question.  As for your question, well, I'm assuming you're wondering what any of this has to do with ROH's Supercard of Honor, which ran this past Friday.  It contained my favorite match of the entire weekend.

I know, I know...Tony Khan is a goofball.  I won't even try to sell you on lucha libre.  It's an acquired taste, but holy shit.  El Hijo del Vikingo and Komander leveled the joint with their AAA Mega Championship match-up.  It literally felt as though I was watching wrestling from the future.  In terms of rope work, these guys make The Young Bucks look like The Rock 'n' Roll Express.  Words will never do their moves justice, so find a way to cram this PPV into your belfry.  Final notes?  Snoop Dogg was the MVP of Wrestlemania 39 for cracking The Miz in his dopey face.  That made it worth sitting through all of the uncomfortable comedy segments.  Hey, Hollywood.  Stop hiring Kevin Hart.  In general.  Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment