11/8/23

Blood Capsule #168

THE BONE SNATCHER (2003)

In my quest to see every medium-budget monster movie under the sun, I have stumbled upon this arid, desiccated dust bowl.  And it is dry.  I'll give it this much; it's got ambition.  The plot?  It follows a team of scientists looking for a pair of missing miners (the spelunking kind, not the underaged kind).  All they find is bones.  To make matters more dire, they spot a bizarre creature vacillating amongst the sand dunes.  What could it be?  If I told you it was a writhing mass of hyper-intelligent ants forming a makeshift skeleton, would you believe me?  You see, they use the bones to...forget it.  It's a fairly unique concept, but the execution is, shall we say, paltry.

The acting is fine.  Outside of splotchy CGI, the special effects are actually proficient.  This is what you would call a "good" movie, but director Jason Wulfsohn can't seem to drive it home.  There is a weak love affair that threatens the third act, and our super-evolved specks of fury (the ants) are disassembled too easily.  At the end of the day, I'm glad I watched The Bone Snatcher.  That's not a recommendation.  Bear in mind, I'll watch anything credited with a creature designer.  I'd advise most normal people to watch something else.  If there were an iceberg tier list for bone-themed genre films, I'd put this one below such heavy hitters as Bones and The Bone Collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment