9/13/21

Blood Capsule #113

THE SEVENTH CURSE (1986)

No, that's not a ghoulie or a munchie.  It's nothing of the sort, although I don't believe that I can describe it with human words.  I'll try!  It's affixed to an effeminately-voiced sorcerer who pulls it out from behind his back and prompts it to larrup anyone foolish enough to oppose his worm tribe.  This movie...I can't describe the plot with human words.  I'll try!  A man is burdened by a "blood spell" while studying abroad, and one year later, he is faced with his own mortality when he learns that he must return to the jungles of Thailand to ameliorate his sickness.  It's a time-sensitive matter.  If he doesn't find the cure by a certain date (he has, like, a goddamn day), he will become extinct.

The Seventh Curse is a Hong Kong production in the grand tradition of The Story of Ricky and the works of the Shaw brothers.  My reasons for mentioning Ricky are twofold.  Fold #1 ~ Both films were helmed by Ngai Choi Lam.   Fold #2 ~ Both films are fucking bent.  Curse is teeming with outlandish monsters, raging gore, and a general sense of folly-tinted giddiness.  While this is a b-flick without question, the special effects are remarkably deft.  For the most part, I couldn't figure out how the gags were achieved on the cheap.  Peppy fight choreography keeps the pace above a dangerous level.  I didn't have to worry about the bus exploding--I mean, falling asleep.  I didn't worry about falling asleep.

Last I checked, The Seventh Curse is available to rent on Amazon Prime.  Fork over the cash.  It's a frugal investment.


No comments:

Post a Comment