9/27/11

Matches That Time Forgot #17

I'm skipping Raw this week, but fear not, good soldiers. I will still supply you with your wrestling fix (assuming that you need one). Today's match that time forgot is another random encounter from the olden days of the World Wrestling Federation. If it seems like I fixate on the WWF, it's only because this is the shit that I was raised on. I'll traverse other promotions in the near future, but for the time being, how about a rare match plucked from Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat's second tenure under the McMahon regime? I can't believe that Vince actually tried to present The Dragon as a new addition to the company. It had only been four years since he won the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania III.

It goes without saying that Ricky's run as The Dragon was less than prestigious. From what I gather, he wasn't even involved in any actual storylines. Here, he fights Smash (yes, Demolition Smash). It's a solid back-and-forth that calls attention to brawling, submission holds and tasteful high spots. If it weren't for a mental slip-up (see if you can spot the botch; Heenan and Monsoon do a splendid job of saving face), this bout would be damn near perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment