8/12/11

Parts Unknown #72: Impact Wrestling


I'm taking the plunge. I haven't reviewed a TNA show in over a year, but in the interest of keeping this column fresh, I decided to appraise Impact Wrestling as of August 2011. Since the arbitrary name change, the creative team has made subtle improvements to the structure of their flagship program. All in all, the writing is still messy. This shit reeks of Vince Russo.

PROS

~ For what it's worth, Mickie James pulled a decent match out of Madison Rayne. Aside from Tara, she is the most talented Knockout that TNA has to offer.

~ The BFG Series contest involving Pope/Devon, Beer Money and RVD/Styles. Again, I don't see how tag matches gel with the established rules of this tournament, but nonetheless, this was an energetic burst of wrestling. I marked out for Robert Roode's Perfect Plex.

~ I appreciate the fact that Tara and Miss Tessmacher are presenting themselves as a genuine tag team. Sadly, they are one of the few bright spots of a depleted division.

~ Finally! The X Division has a weight limit. It's going to take awhile to develop these new faces into actual characters, but things are looking up for the cruiserweights. Love Austin Aries as the fawning, obsequious heel.

~ I can't believe that I'm saying this, but Jeff and Karen Jarrett's Mexican endorsement was an entertaining segment. The Lopez brothers rule. I hope that wasn't the last we'll ever see of them. Hector Guerrero could be their manager. How awesome does that sound?

CONS

~ Too many turns. Anderson is turning face (after being a heel for a few weeks), Abyss is turning face, Kurt Angle is turning heel...I hate to be repetitive, but this is Russo Booking 101. Just stop.

~ So Sting and Dixie Carter knew about the affair? This is the kind of "soap opera" bullshit that pauperized the industry.

~ The Robbie E/Brian Kendrick match. It had no flow, and Cookie's ceaseless interference was a fatal drawback.

~ No one gives a fuck about Immortal.

This episode of Impact Wrestling wasn't entirely abominable, but it will be awhile before I revisit my friends at TNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment